Get daily celeb exclusives and behind the scenes house tours direct to your inbox
The BBC has reportedly received 100,000 complaints about its coverage of Prince Philip's death.
The network altered its usual schedule on Friday 9 April to show tributes and special documentaries about the Duke of Edinburgh when the news of his death broke. The move meant programmes, including the MasterChef final, were pushed back, leaving many viewers disappointed.
According to The Sun Online, the BBC's coverage on both television and their radio channels has become the most complained about event in British TV history.
The publication claimed that the last time the broadcaster received a record-high of complaints was back in 2005, when 63,000 annoyed viewers moaned about a screening of Jerry Springer: The Musical.
Piers Morgan takes fresh swipe at Meghan Markle as he says Royals should 'shun Oprah' and 'get on with it'
Prince William praises Prince Philip for kindness he showed Kate Middleton when joining Royal family
Get exclusive celebrity stories and fabulous photoshoots straight to your inbox with OK!'s daily newsletter. You can sign up at the top of the page.
An insider said: “I feel sorry for the Beeb. They would be criticised and accused of not being respectful enough if they didn’t lay the programmes on.
“But they seem to have left many people very cross.”
While it appears the Beeb left viewers displeased with their wall-to-wall coverage, Channel 4 faced a backlash from Royal fans after failing to alter their schedule for the day in light of Prince Philip's death at the age of 99.
Contrary to the BBC, Channel 4 continued airing regular content such as Come Dine With Me.
Sign up for the BEST celebrity house tours and BIGGEST exclusive interviews
Download OK! magazine's FREE app and get all the gossip straight to your phone
Clearly upset by the decision, fierce fans flocked to social media platform Twitter to blast the network, calling it "insensitive".
One person wrote: "Channel 4 is disgusting and insensitive, they have carried on with their usual programming ‘Find It, Fix It, Flog It’ instead of running segments on the death of Prince Philip like the other major broadcasters. It’s unbecoming of Channel 4 and a national broadcaster."
Another shocked viewer said: "BBC and ITV both interrupt the current programme to announce the news of Prince Philip’s passing. Meanwhile on Channel 4 Couples Come Dine with Me is on like nothing’s happened."
Become an OK! VIP and see all our exclusives – for free!
Become an OK! VIP and you will unlock access to all of our big exclusives…
Be the first to meet the latest showbiz babies, see the most sought after wedding pictures of the year, or take a guided tour around your favourite star's lavish multi-million pound home – all for free!
Sign up here
A third chimed: "Saddened by the lack of coverage so far on Channel 4 and that you’ve pretty much ignored it. Hope that when the Queen dies, you won’t just continue to play Come Dine with Me repeats like you have today.”
While a fourth added: "I notice channel 4 have decided to ignore the death of Prince Philip…"
However, not everyone was critical about the network's decision to go ahead with their normal schedule.
Prince Philip 1921-2021
Prince Harry remembers 'legend of banter' grandfather Prince Philip in touching tribute
Defending Channel 4, one person said: "Thank you for not having wall to wall coverage about Prince Philip. As sad as it is, we don’t need to watch hours and hours about it. Sticking with Channel 4 tonight!"
A second agreed: "So let me get this straight… People who are not watching Channel 4 are annoyed that they aren't showing rolling news about #PrincePhilip like the other 4 channels they are already watching… How many channels can you watch at once…?" [sic]
As a third said: "Does it really matter if Channel 4 aren't doing wall-to-wall coverage of Prince Philip? It's not like you're short of options if that's what you're looking for".
Source: Read Full Article