Ant Middleton apologises for BLM tweet in June
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The 41-year-old former soldier spoke out about the Channel 4 show after announcing earlier this year that he had been dropped from SAS: Who Dares Wins following a tweet he posted about the Black Lives Matter movement. As his final recorded show draws to a close, he said he would be “wiping his hands” of the series following the last episode, adding that he hoped the “witch hunt” would end.
“The UK version fell out of my grasp and was taken out of my grip, so I was worried about this version being the same,” he revealed, speaking about the Australian show.
“It wasn’t until I sat down with the heads of Channel 7 and they said ‘we want you to run it and do what you do best’, I knew it would be different.”
Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, he continued: “The last UK episode finishes on Sunday and then I am going to wipe my hands of them and move forward.
“Hopefully they leave me alone. There’s a lot of witch-hunting going on, there’s no doubt about that.”
Channel Four bosses stated they would not work with Ant again due to his “personal conduct”.
It came after the television personality made controversial comments about Black Lives Matter, as well as his encouragement for people to “carry on as normal” during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ant took to Twitter to confirm his departure. In view of his 325,000 followers, he said: “Hi guys, I’ve got some news which is that after 5 incredible years I’ve decided it’s time to move on from SAS Who Dares Wins UK.
“Big respect to my fellow DS – it’s been a journey I’ll never forget.
Amid the public outcry, Ant posted: “The extreme left against the extreme right.
“When did two wrongs make a right. It was only a matter of time. BLM and EDL are not welcome on our streets, absolute scum.
“What a great example you are to your future generation. Bravo.”
He later published a video in which he told followers: “I’d just like to clarify a tweet I’d put out at the weekend and deleted straight away once I’d re-read it and realised that it could cause offence.”
He continued: “I put out a tweet or retweeted a video of the violence, the terror and chaos that was happening on the streets of London.
“Within that tweet I mentioned the BLM and EDL and the word ‘scum’.
“At no point was I calling the BLM scum and comparing the two organisations.
“I want to make that really, really clear. The word scum was used to describe the people in the video that were violent, that were causing terror on the streets of London and setting a bad example for our future generations.”
SAS: Who Dares Wins is available to watch on All4.
Source: Read Full Article